But is science always so different? Few people, even with college degrees, are in
a position to evaluate the intricacies of particle physics or cosmology. We accept
them on faith, stories told by high priests and priestesses. We are provided with
the warranty that the speculations are grounded in observation . . . But the relationship
between the observable world and the theories we build is subtle . . . In practice,
we are more likely to add filigrees to our models than to see them overturned.
Fire In The Mind
CONVERGENT TRENDS IN ENFORMATION
The Enformationism thesis grew out of several convergent trends in Science that began
to emerge around the beginning of the 20th century, and reached adolescent maturity
at the verge of the 21st century. As our understanding of Nature broadened, and deepened,
new questions about old assumptions were raised. New branches and twigs of science
spun-off to deal with these novel challenges.
● Physics : The counterintuitive paradoxes of Quantum Theory made it necessary for
physicists to incorporate Philosophical techniques into their search for the roots
of Reality: Ontology, Materialism, Cosmology.
● Internet : A worldwide explosion of communication channels caused engineers to
define Information in a practical and technical sense : Shannon Theory.
● Computers : The advent of artificial thinking machines and related technologies
required new ways of conceptualizing information as digital atoms.
● Cultural Systems : Population explosion; sociological, cultural, political, systems;
globalization. Diverse worldviews are forced to compete, cooperate, and merge.
● Memetics : Cultural Evolution is the offspring of Natural Evolution; Memes analogous
to Genes as forms of information.
● Group Minds : Global Mind; Swarm Minds; Mega-corporations; Complex machines and
business organizations; Memetic Management; Mind of the Market.